Underarm Laser Hair Removal Before and After
Method 1Prior to the Appointment
- Avoid tanning and using sunless tanners for at least a month to prepare for laser hair removal. The skin should be as light as possible at the time of treatment. For this reason, many people choose to undergo laser treatment during winter.
- Apply sunscreen with at least an SPF 15 if you do need to spend time outdoors, and the area you wish to have hair removed by laser will be exposed to UVA/UVB rays.
- Refrain from plucking or waxing for at least 2-4 weeks prior to undergoing laser hair removal. Shaving is fine, but these other hair removal techniques can reduce the effectiveness of the laser treatment. Also, the hair should not be bleached.
- Shave the area that will be treated, as instructed during the pre-treatment consultation. This is usually a day or two before the appointment. The hair follicles should be visible, but it can be more painful if longer hair is present during the laser hair removal.
- Take oral antiviral medication or oral antibiotics if prescribed by your doctor.
- Clean the skin at the treatment site and leave it free of cosmetics, lotions and creams. If you apply deodorant, it will be removed prior to treatment.
Method 2During the Appointment
- Wear clothing that will leave the treated area exposed or is loose fitting. The treated area may have a soothing topical cream applied that you don't want to get on clothing. Tight or abrasive clothing will feel uncomfortable if the skin is sensitive after treatment.
- Expect the laser technician to apply a topical anesthetic cream or a warm compress prior to treatment. The technician may also shave the area.
- Put on the protective eyewear.
Add New Question
- Can I remove my chest and abdomen hair by laser?
Those areas might be more sensitive than others, but you can still do it.
- What kind of protective eye wear is best for IPL hair treatments?
Generally speaking, we advise wearing laser goggles as well as keeping your eyes tight underneath them. If you get too close to the eyes, just squeezing really tight may not be enough and could risk your sight. If the goggles are in the way, then ask your physician to put special eye shields into your eye.
- I have dark patches at my underarms. Will it remain if I get laser hair removal treatment?
Laser hair removal will remove all the hair permanently.
- Will white hair be removed by laser?
Yes. The color of the hair doesn't matter.
Ask a Question
If this question (or a similar one) is answered twice in this section, please click here to let us know.
- Dark hair combined with light skin responds best to laser hair removal. When skin has dark pigments, it cannot absorb the light from the laser. Special lasers can be used on African-Americans, and topical treatments may increase the effectiveness of laser hair removal on people with gray or light-colored hair. Shave areas to be treated up to four weeks prior to first laser hair removal treatment.
- It is important to follow the laser hair removal pre treatment instructions precisely to ensure maximum effectiveness of the treatment and to minimize discomfort during the procedure.
- Complete hair removal on an area of the body is not likely in a single treatment. Hair growth occurs in stages, and laser hair removal only works on hair that is in the active growth stage. Hair reduction of 10-25 percent per treatment is a realistic expectation.